Your 2 cents on collaborations

Moderator: beatchemist

Your 2 cents on collaborations

Postby Slope on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 am

Hey fellow music lovers,

I am wondering about collabs and specifically how it is preferably done. Surely there are different opinions, and I am genuinely interested in the different angles. So I would like to ask al of your opinions. Whether you're a seasoned collaborator or unexperienced, you must have an opinion/ideas.

Maybe you'd like to share:

- Your collab experience, meaning have you ever done collabs (feel free to include links and especially say roughly how you went about, meaning: I made the beat and bass, then person B came in and added the piano, then I did....etc)
-> MY ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: NONE

- How you (would) prefer your collabs to be done. Could you work with just a 4 bar loop from someone else, or do/would you prefer an arrangement layed out a bit further.
-> MY ANSWER: NO IDEA REALLY! BOTH A LOOP OR FURTHER STRUCTURE WOULD WORK, PREFERABLY IN NOT A STEREO BOUNCE, BUT ALL TRACKS SEPERATELY.

- Would you ethically work with everything that the other person supplied, or would you shamelessly take out several parts (anything from a hihat to the bassline)...in order to replace it with something that works better for you. And in this way, risking to kill what the other person considers to be the essence of the whole vibe.
-> MY ANSWER: I PROBABLY SCHIZOFRENICALLY BALANCE BETWEEN ETHICS (LEAVE EVERYTHING IN) AND HAVING AN OPINION ABOUT SPECIFIC PARTS. AND GET STUCK RIGHT THERE :)

- What would you be looking for in a collaborator. Specific talents that you feel you lack? Specific taste/style that you think would complement yours? Specific technical abilities?
-> MY ANSWER: SPECIFIC TALENTS, ESPECIALLY SOUND FX & CHORDS TO COMPLEMENT WHAT I FEEL I'M BEST AT: BEATS, GROOVES AND A BASSLINE.

Hope this thread makes any sense. I am in a way intrigued by the fact that people can make masterpieces together, in many cases from different continents and timezones. It requires finding persons that complement eachother, dedication, focus and last but not least: an open mind to someone elses input. I am in serious doubt if I am made of the right stuff for this. Only one way to find out! And I might just dive in there one of these days :)

Gr, Slope
Slope

Re: Your 2 cents on collaborations

Postby FreeBurg on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:55 am

hi slope,

nice that you started this thread/topic. But i dont really get your point. There are no rules and opinions of others dont matter when it comes down to a collab-in-action. Its a mutual agreement between the artists, an interaction and a process of creativity. Its like discussing how the brush shall be hold while painting: it doesnt matter, the result counts.
And if two or more artists dont agree on anything or something, then there is simply no collab (but prolly too much ego).

I understand your wish to have a sort of guideline, but there is no right and wrong. My advice: find someone to make a track together and you will find your way.

pz
[bass]drivin' through life
--------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/freebirddnb
http://www.facebook.com/FreeBird.art
aim: freebirddnb
FreeBurg

Postby Slope on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Freebird, first of all...much respect for your work!

I guess I wasnt clear enough...I didnt do this thread to get a guidebook or such. I understand there's 1000 ways you can make music and especially if you do it together. Add in that distance is no longer any issue....

I just hoped for a few real life examples, thoughts about it etc. Pure passionate interest, not only in the product but just as much how it is done :)

There's tons of collabs out there but little of how they actually were made.

Thanks for your reply and keep up the good work, SLope
Slope

Postby gaqyj on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 am

Bass drive archive was famous band in this city they had many concert this year that was mostly in my city I am big fan of them. I was really happy when I read article on them that was written by writing service australia that was much famous among the world.
gaqyj

Return to Production Discussion