wobble problem

Moderator: beatchemist

wobble problem

Postby sidus on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Heya peeps!

I've been using Reason 4 for a couple of months now, rewired in Ableton.
I've created this wobble in the Malström device and thought it was allright (used the sync option so I guessed it was synced perfectly) but someone said it was a bit 'off', so I'm kinda stuck now.

Hopefully someone can help me out with this and give me some advice on how I can fix this.

http://ishi.dommel.be/wobbleError.mp3

Big thanks!
sidus

Re: wobble problem

Postby Fuse on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:53 am

Don't really see whats exactly "off" there...
But if you want to tweak it, and me not knowing reason nor ableton, search for the LFO rate/amount and tweak that?
In FL for example you can set the LFO to match either 1,2,4...etc. steps.

Unless ofcourse you have different methods of creating the wobble in the first place
http://www.soundcloud.com/fuse-est
www.myspace.com/fusednb
www.bassdrivetunes.com
aim - fusednb
Fuse

Postby AS400XL on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 am

Well having sync on means the timing of the wobble should be in time with the song's tempo/bpm alright, except to get it tighter you might need to change it's speed as Fuse says.

The Maelstrom's "LFO's" are called Mod A and Mod B (modulators in that synth, but pretty much same as LFO) and the rate control is the speed alright. When sync is OFF the modulator speed goes from 0 (no change or maybe one full cycle every 4 weeks) to 127 (maybe 30 cycles a second) and the modulator cycle will start from the beginning every time a note is played.
With sync ON, the rate goes from 16/4 (meaning one cycle every 4 bars of tune) thru to 1/32 (which is 32 cycles in 1 bar of tune).
To make that more relevant, when the rate is at 4/4 you get one Mod cycle per bar, when its at 1/4 you get one mod cycle every 1/4 bar or one every beat (scuse the tech terms :/ ).

Now, if the rate is in time (also check to see if 1-shot is enabled/lit as this can mess up repeating wobbles if its on) and there's still something off, you might have to use a different Mod waveform or "curve" using the up and down arrows to the right of the waveform display (which is above the yellow 'rate' control). Best to go through a few until you find one that works right for you. The lowest (first) wave is a sine, but for timing, maybe switch it to a square wave temporarily, as the square will start its cycle right on the beat which is good to lock on to if you're trying to sort out timing. Square mod wavefrom is the 4th.

1 (lowest you can get with the down arrow): Sine, 2: Triangle, 3: Sawtooth, 4: Square.

So it could well be either the modulator rate, the modulator waveform or a combination of both that needs sorting out. If you tried all those and its still "a bit off", have a look at the sequencer part and check to make sure yer wobble notes start on the right beats/places.

Thats mah 2c.
AS400XL

Postby Micken on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:39 pm

simply syncing an LFO will not necessarily give you the result you desire. Most lfo's also have a phase knob. This controls at which level the oscillation begins. If your wobble sounds out of time you probably just need to tweak the phase to get it starting at the right level. if your LFO is lame and has no phase control your best bet is to sample it and work with it that way.
Micken

Postby lukenlow on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks to you, I was quick to cope with this problem, thanks for this simple and elegant solution 192.168.l.254
lukenlow

Return to Production Discussion