Technicalities get in the way.

Moderator: beatchemist

Technicalities get in the way.

Postby joncarr on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Can someone please explain to me why I feel that the first arrangement I've ever done was probably my best. Before learning much about how to make the track sound right, levels and quality wise, I had a lot more fun working out the sequencing of a track. I used all the right elements, and an appropriate amount of elements to get the job done. Since learning the technical aspect of decent production, my ideas have dwindled to next to nothing, I spend more time working out the eq on a kick or another element that I find it to be not as fun as it used to be. By the time I get all the technicalities out of the way, the writers block has set in and then I'm stuck with just a nice sounding 8 bar loop. Does this happen to everyone? Should I knock out the sequencing and everything first then work to fine tune my eq's and levels. Hmmmm, I do know it's quite frustrating at times. :)

Respect

-joncarr-
joncarr

Re: Technicalities get in the way.

Postby Micken on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 am

sounds like you're becoming less of a musician and more of a sound engineer. This has been happening to me too and i guess there isn't much you can do but discipline yourself to focus on other aspects of your production. Getting a great sound is nice but for a tune to be excellent it needs to be great in all aspects(sequencing, chord progressions, mixability, etc). Perhaps a good thing for you to try would be to examine a track that you like in great detail. Pick it apart until you understand what it is about it that makes it so good for you. I bet you'll find a lot of different aspects of it that make it so great and be inspired to incorporate all of these things into your own work. What I've been doing is loading one of said amazing tunes into my daw while I am working as a constant reminder.

:)
Micken

Postby joncarr on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 am

Great advice Micken, thanks for the insight!

jc
joncarr

Postby Inka on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 am

I think this happens to everyone sooner or later. I generally find myself working on the mix when I'm out of ideas melodically and such, it's actually quite nifty cause I feel like I use my time more efficiently, granted if you don't eventually get those creative idea juices flowing you'll find yourself working on the mix for a long time. My production process, though fairly simple, is disjointed as I tend to skip around different aspects depending on my mood.
http://soundcloud.com/inkadnb
http://soundcloud.com/inkadnb/inka-vacancies-clip
I work best in collabs, contact me if you're interested!
Inka

Postby joncarr on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 am

Well Inka, glad to see im not alone with this...i think i'll eventually get my flow going, kinda like how stella got her groove...
thanks for the reply bro!

jc
joncarr

Postby GhostTrolley on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I used to think of songs as intro, buildup, drop, breakdown etc... As if there was a set way to arrange every song.

Now I'm thinking of it more as as song, and a piece of music, rather than sound in an arrangement.

Def feel where your coming from.
GhostTrolley

Return to Production Discussion